Message in a bottle found in Brookhaven nearly 5 decades laterPosted: Updated:
A message in a bottle washed ashore in Brookhaven nearly five decades after a William Floyd High School science teacher and his students set bottles free.
"We were studying currents, which way the current would carry the water," says former science teacher William Kiriazis.
One of the bottles set free by the students was found by Susan Hennes, a bottle collector herself.
When Hennes found the bottle, it had a note dated Dec. 1, 1972. It read, "Please return to William Floyd High School. Very important to be returned."
Hennes returned the bottle back to its original owner, the retired teacher who used the bottle as a learning tool.
"Some of my old students from the '70s have been posting it on Facebook," says Kiriazis. "It's become this phenomena that I wasn't expecting."
The bottle will now sit in the high school's museum, marking the end to a very long-lost science lesson.
- A Coram family was trapped in their home Thursday without power following a nor'easter that took down trees and power lines across Long Island.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!
- Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.
- Food Allergy Research & Education's Teal Pumpkin Project is raising food allergies awareness. You can be inclusive for all trick or treaters with the addition of trinkets and toys to your treats.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.