Long Islanders weigh in on proposed National Grid rate hikePosted: Updated:
Long Islanders will have a chance Wednesday to weigh in on a proposed rate hike with National Grid.
National Grid customers could see a hike of around $6.50 a month in the delivery rate for natural gas, if given the green light from state regulators.
The Public Service Commission held a meeting in Mineola Wednesday during which National Grid said the extra money would go toward improvements to its aging infrastructure.
"This gives us the ability to go in and do things like leak repair, invest in the current transmission system and rebuild and harden the system," said Keith Rooney.
Some community activists say any hike could be painful, especially for those living on a fixed income.
In response to the potentially higher natural gas bills, the Town of Hempstead is proposing a unique solution that it says could possibly reduce residents' bills.
Town Supervisor Laura Gillen is proposing legislation that would allow the town to negotiate better gas rates with another company for all of its residents. The savings could possibly be 10% per month, with National Grid still delivering the gas. Gillen says the savings could offset the possible delivery rate hike.
The Public Service Commission is holding another meeting Thursday in Riverhead.
- A Riverhead man is thanking Suffolk's aviation unit for helping him get to the hospital in time for a heart transplant.
- A big change could help solve one of the biggest murder mysteries on Long Island.A big change could help solve one of the biggest murder mysteries on Long Island.
- Bank of America is the latest company to offer free stock trading.Bank of America is the latest company to offer free stock trading.
- A new crop at a Moriches farm is causing controversy in the East End community.A new crop at a Moriches farm is causing controversy in the East End community.
- A new group of men and women are heading into the Suffolk Police Academy.A new group of men and women are heading into the Suffolk Police Academy.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?