Lindenhurst teen sentenced to prison for killing 2 while high on drugsPosted: Updated:
A Lindenhurst teen was sentenced on Friday for killing two people while driving high on drugs nearly two years ago.
David O'Brien, 19, was sentenced to four to 12 years in prison.
O'Brien had pleaded guilty to crashing his car into a tree and killing two friends while high on marijuana and Xanax in Lindenhurst.
While in court, O'Brien read a statement apologizing to the victims' families, saying he will never forgive himself. He also said he's aware that his actions brought terrible pain and sadness to the families.
RELATED: ‘I want it over with’: Sentencing for driver in fatal crash expected next week
RELATED: Man pleads guilty to driving high, killing 2 in Lindenhurst crash
RELATED: Police: 2 dead after car crashes into tree in Lindenhurst
After issuing his sentence, the judge told O'Brien "Use the time to improve yourself and when you are released from state prison come out a better man."
The victims killed were 24-year-old Maggie Miller and 16-year-old Joseph Galdorisi.
O'Brien was sentenced on the top count of aggravated vehicular homicide.
In court O'Brien told the judge he's been seeing counselors and has been sober for four months.
- Service has been restored on the Long Island Rail Road's Long Beach branch after an equipment train slammed into a car in East Rockaway Monday.
- The number of measles cases are on the rise again as New York parents deal with new emergency rules about religious exemptions from vaccinations.
- Comisionado de la policía de NY despide a Pantaleo por muerte de Eric Garner. Tragedia en el Alto Manhattan por homicidio suicidio. Piden nueva ley para dar educación sexual a estudiantes de NY
- A winning Powerball ticket was sold at the BP Gas and Repair Station on Merrick Avenue in Merrick.A winning Powerball ticket was sold at the BP Gas and Repair Station on Merrick Avenue in Merrick.
- A group of teenagers say a motorist ran over their bikes in Commack -- and the incident was caught on camera.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.