Lawmakers prep for traffic woes during fall pumpkin-picking seasonPosted: Updated:
Suffolk County lawmakers are already preparing for fall traffic, and looking at ways to ease traffic on the North Fork during pumpkin-picking season.
Riverhead Town Supervisor Laura Jens-Smith says traffic is a challenge in the fall.
This fall, the town will triple the amount of traffic control officers to nine, and it has asked more popular venues to secure extra parking. Jens-Smith adds that a long-term plan needs still to be figured out.
Scott Russel is the supervisor for Southold, which is the next town east. He says Southold farmers and residents get the short end of the stick.
"Local business are losing business because the traffic jams are choking out the traffic and people are not getting out as far east as they want to," Russel says.
Russel wants Sound Avenue widened, and likes the idea of using bike lanes to do that. Not everyone is on board.
Eve Kaplan, who owns the Garden of Eve organic farm on Sound Avenue in Riverhead, says alternative transportation and redirecting traffic is a better answer.
Farmers say it's an important season, and they have to make the most it, but they don't want to be a burden to the residents.
Officials say they may experiment with making all lanes of Sound Avenue one way, and Southold wants to stop allowing pedestrian crossings.
- A Bethpage woman is accused of leaving her young children unattended for over an hour in a running car - while she went shopping.
- The prosecution started its closing arguments in the obstruction trial of former Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota and his top investigator Christopher McPartland.
- Police have released a photo of a man they say robbed a Great Neck bank at gunpoint Monday morning.Police have released a photo of a man they say robbed a Great Neck bank at gunpoint Monday morning.
- New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal identified the two suspects and the three civilian victims killed in Tuesday's Jersey City shootings. A police detective was also killed.
- The United States Navy announced that the famous Blue Angels will be headlining the 17th annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach in May.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.