Beat the heat: Extended hours offered at beaches, pools this weekendPosted: Updated:
Hours are being extended at beaches and pools across Long Island to allow more time to cool off amid this weekend's expected heat.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says in an effort to help New Yorkers beat the heat, hours will be extended at Jones Beach and other state parks including Sunken Meadow, Robert Moses, Orient and Hecksher beaches, Wildwood Park, Hither Hills and Montauk Downs for the upcoming weekend.
Temperatures are expected to be in the mid- to upper-90s, and an excessive heat warning will be in effect.
Officials in Nassau and Suffolk say county pools will also extend their hours. The Town of Huntington is among those, keeping open Dix Hills Park Pool open from 10 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. this weekend.
If pools and beaches aren't your thing, Dix Hills Ice Rink will also be open until 8 p.m. over the weekend.
In Suffolk, cooling centers will be open. Suffolk officials made special arrangements with Suffolk Community College to use its buildings in Brentwood, Selden and Riverhead as cooling centers Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.
- Service has been restored on the Long Island Rail Road's Long Beach branch after an equipment train slammed into a car in East Rockaway Monday.
- The number of measles cases are on the rise again as New York parents deal with new emergency rules about religious exemptions from vaccinations.
- Comisionado de la policía de NY despide a Pantaleo por muerte de Eric Garner. Tragedia en el Alto Manhattan por homicidio suicidio. Piden nueva ley para dar educación sexual a estudiantes de NY
- A winning Powerball ticket was sold at the BP Gas and Repair Station on Merrick Avenue in Merrick.A winning Powerball ticket was sold at the BP Gas and Repair Station on Merrick Avenue in Merrick.
- A group of teenagers say a motorist ran over their bikes in Commack -- and the incident was caught on camera.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.