Police: Man attacks woman in possible anti-LGBTQ attack in PatchoguePosted: Updated:
Hate crime investigators are searching for a man they say attacked a same-sex couple in Patchogue.
Police say some men approached two women at 3:30 a.m. on July 7 in an alleyway near the Patchogue-Medford Library on Main Street.
They say that one of the men made lewd comments. Then, a man in a red shirt assaulted Kimberly Page.
The 30-year-old said she has been open about being gay since she was 13, but was assaulted because of her sexual orientation.
"It could happen anywhere, but unfortunately it happened in my own backyard," Page says.
She says the suspect pushed her girlfriend to the ground and then hit her once.
News 12 Long Island is told that she suffered injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
Police say they are investigating the case as a possible hate crime.
The president of the Greater Patchogue Chamber of Commerce told News 12 they are looking into adding additional cameras in the alleyway where it happened.
Anyone with information is asked to call Suffolk Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
All other concerns or questions regarding this incident or other suspected hate crimes can contact the LGBT Network.
- Police say an 81-year-old man was viciously attacked and robbed in Valley Stream early Saturday morning.Police say an 81-year-old man was viciously attacked and robbed in Valley Stream early Saturday morning.
- State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Friday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Friday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.
- A Central Islip man is facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving a pit bull and keeping her in a dark basement.A Central Islip man is facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving a pit bull and keeping her in a dark basement.
- Police say a suspect wearing a ski mask opened fire on a man outside of a Bay Shore bar early Saturday morning.Police say a suspect wearing a ski mask opened fire on a man outside of a Bay Shore bar early Saturday morning.
- Police say a teen was robbed while riding his bicycle in Franklin Square Friday afternoon.Police say a teen was robbed while riding his bicycle in Franklin Square Friday afternoon.
- A Long Island congressman has become the first House Republican to back legislation to ban assault weapons.
- An Islip child was honored Tuesday for donating thousands of dollars from his lemonade stand to help other children battling cancer.
- Local politicians are calling for the resignations of several Long Beach officials following controversial retirement payouts worth thousands of dollars.
- Families are calling on Long Beach officials to fix dozens of broken benches that were dedicated to people who have died.
- A Great Neck plastic surgeon accused of threatening to kill his estranged wife appeared in Tuckahoe Village court Tuesday.