Seniors: Elevator issues at apartment complex has trapped them in their homesPosted: Updated:
Residents say elevator issues at their senior apartment complex in Hempstead are trapping them in their homes.
The seniors at 400 Fulton Ave. say the elevators in their complex barely work. Resident Mary Scott, 77, says one of the two elevators in the building has been out of service for months.
Scott also says the other breaks just about every day, leaving senior or disabled residents stranded in their apartments for hours or days at a time.
Residents say the building's owner, AD Real Estate Investors, knows there is a problem but has done little to rectify it. Scott's daughter, Paula Jackson, says she's worried about what will happen if a resident has a medical emergency in their apartment or while using the stairs if the elevator isn't working.
The village of Hempstead has issued three summonses against AD Real Estate Investors for the elevators being out of service since June. The building could face up to a $2,000 fine on each charge.
The village building inspector was on site Tuesday, and the mayor is monitoring the situation. Village trustee Waylyn Hobbs says he's looking into asking Nassau County to pull the building’s Payment in Lieu of Taxes, or PILOT subsidy, if the owners don't solve the elevator problem now.
News 12 has asked AD Real Estate Investors for comment, but the owners have not returned calls.
Village officials want the building's owners to appear for a meeting at Village Hall Friday to discuss plans to fix the elevators.
- A Coram family was trapped in their home Thursday without power following a nor'easter that took down trees and power lines across Long Island.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!
- Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.
- Food Allergy Research & Education's Teal Pumpkin Project is raising food allergies awareness. You can be inclusive for all trick or treaters with the addition of trinkets and toys to your treats.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.