Emmy-winning actor Rip Torn has died at the age of 88Posted: Updated:
By BOB THOMAS
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Award-winning television, film and theater actor Rip Torn has died at the age of 88, according to his publicist.
Publicist Rick Miramontez says Torn died Tuesday afternoon at his home with his wife, Amy Wright, and daughters Katie Torn and Angelica Page by his side. No cause of death was given.
Torn was a free-spirited Texan who overcame his quirky name to become a distinguished actor who won an Emmy late in his career for his comedy turn on TV's "The Larry Sanders Show."
Torn made his film debut in 1956 in an adaptation of Tennessee Williams' "Baby Doll."
Other film credits included "Sweet Bird of Youth," ''Critics Choice" and "The Cincinnati Kid."
His career on stage and screen spanned seven decades, ranging from an early career of dark, threatening roles to iconic comedic performances later in life.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- After months of investigation, a house with as many as 50 renters living in it has been shut down.After months of investigation, a house with as many as 50 renters living in it has been shut down.
- Suffolk officials touted safety in the county Monday morning.Suffolk officials touted safety in the county Monday morning.
- Patrick Day's promoter says the 27-year-old Freeport native is currently in a coma following his injury Saturday night.
- It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!
- An injured World War II veteran in Deer Park got an upgrade to his home courtesy of the Make It Count Foundation.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.