Police: North Bellmore hit-and-run critically injures Nassau officerPosted: Updated:
A Nassau police officer on a motorcycle was critically injured by an alleged hit-and-run driver in North Bellmore Saturday morning, authorities say.
It happened just before 8:30 a.m. at the intersection Bellmore Avenue and Alice Avenue.
Police say the officer was on patrol when he was "broadsided" by a Subaru driver in what officials say was a violent collision. The officer was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.
The Subaru driver, identified as 40-year-old Hussam Rajab, fled the scene, according to police. He was pulled over a short time later on Sunrise Highway near the Meadowbrook Parkway and was taken into custody.
The Nassau County Police Benevolent Association has identified the injured officer as George Day. Officials say he is a 14-year veteran of the force.
"We are praying for the full recovery of Nassau County Police Officer George Day who was struck by a vehicle while on patrol on his motorcycle today," said Nassau PBA President James McDermott in a statement. "Nassau County police officers put their lives on the line every single day in order to protect the residents of Nassau County. This is a reminder of the danger that our officers face every day while in the line of duty."
Rajab is charged with leaving the scene of an accident with serious injury. He was scheduled to be arraigned Sunday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Police say they are speaking with witnesses and are seeking any video that may exist of the crash. Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS.
- A Hicksville man is accused of pretending to be a police officer and trying to pull over a van that was filled with real Nassau County detectives.
- Police say a suspect wearing a ski mask opened fire on a man outside of a Bay Shore bar early Saturday morning.
- The fire sparked around 5 a.m. Saturday at the Manorhaven Beach Park Pool on Manorhaven Boulevard.The fire sparked around 5 a.m. Saturday at the Manorhaven Beach Park Pool on Manorhaven Boulevard.
- A Lindenhurst man is accused of carrying out a string of home burglaries in several Suffolk communities.A Lindenhurst man is accused of carrying out a string of home burglaries in several Suffolk communities.
- State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Saturday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Saturday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Bobbi and the Strays. The shelter is located at 2 Rider Place in Freeport. Their phone number is (516) 378-4340.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Smashing Pumpkins, Noel Gallagher and AFI performed at Jones Beach Aug. 9.Smashing Pumpkins, Noel Gallagher and AFI performed at Jones Beach Aug. 9.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.