NY Senate passes bill allowing driver's licenses for undocumented immigrantsPosted: Updated:
The Democrat-controlled New York Senate on Monday approved a measure allowing undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses.
The measure was passed by the state Assembly last week.
Supporters say many undocumented immigrants are driving anyway, and making it legal could make roads safer since the drivers would be insured.
But opponents say the state shouldn't be rewarding people who came to the U.S. illegally with the privilege of driving.
State Senate Minority Leader John Flanagan criticized Long Island's delegation of Democratic senators for supporting bills that he calls too progressive for Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has voiced support for the measure, said Monday that he's afraid if it passes, the Trump administration may try to get access to the state's database and potentially go after those people for deportation.
Power & PoliticsMore>>
- Riverhead Supervisor-Elect Yvette Aguiar, a retired NYPD counterterrorism sergeant and Long Island's first Hispanic supervisor, stopped by the News 12 Long Island studio to answer viewer questions following her election.
- State Sen. David Carlucci has introduced a bill in Albany that would tax online companies for using your personal data.
- The first ad is set to hit more than 100 markets across the nation today for Michael Bloomberg.The first ad is set to hit more than 100 markets across the nation today for Michael Bloomberg.
- Political strategist Mike Dawidziak and Hofstra University Constitutional Law professor Julian Ku join News 12's Stone Grissom to dissect impeachment and the impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump.
- Jurors in the Thomas Spota/Christopher McPartland obstruction of justice trial heard Monday from Democratic Party boss Richard Schaffer, who is also the Town of Babylon supervisor and a longtime friend of the former Suffolk DA.
- A Bethpage woman is accused of leaving her young children unattended for over an hour in a running car - while she went shopping.
- The prosecution started its closing arguments in the obstruction trial of former Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota and his top investigator Christopher McPartland.
- Police have released a photo of a man they say robbed a Great Neck bank at gunpoint Monday morning.Police have released a photo of a man they say robbed a Great Neck bank at gunpoint Monday morning.
- New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal identified the two suspects and the three civilian victims killed in Tuesday's Jersey City shootings. A police detective was also killed.
- The United States Navy announced that the famous Blue Angels will be headlining the 17th annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach in May.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.