Advocates call for better conditions for Nassau jail inmatesPosted: Updated:
Advocates are calling for better conditions for Nassau County jail inmates after a correction officer says he was attacked at the East Meadow facility.
Advocates say conditions at the county jail are unacceptable. They listed a number of concerns at an Elmont forum Thursday night. They say there's a lack of respect and rights for inmates, flaws in the inmate grievance system and a lack of transparency on the part of jail administrators.
The county's correction officers union says more needs to be done to protect them against violent inmates. The association says last week's unprovoked attack of an officer inside the county jail proves it.
In a statement, Nassau COBA said in part: "This sends a very dangerous message to other violent inmates at the jail that their crimes committed behind bars won't be treated as seriously as their crimes committed on the street. We hope the inmate advocates would agree that everyone deserves to be safe in our jail facility, no matter which side of the bars they're on, including our members."
News 12 did not hear back from County Executive Laura Curran's office for comment.
- Doctors at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset say they're seeing many cases of patients becoming ill from vaping, and now it may be to blame for a death in Illinois.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has completed radiation therapy for a cancerous tumor on her pancreas and there is no evidence of the disease remaining, the Supreme Court said Friday.
- Commack approved a proposal that would allow Long Island University to lease 6 acres of property to create a veterinary school.
- Starting in Jan. 2020, single-use plastics will be banned from the area.Starting in Jan. 2020, single-use plastics will be banned from the area.
- A 15-year-old boy, a 46-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man were seriously injured in a Riverhead shooting early Friday morning.
- This week's pets are up for adoption at Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation. The shelter is located at 102 Old Riverhead Road West in Hampton Bays. Their phone number is 631-728-7387.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.