Police: Roosevelt resident catches stranger inside homePosted: Updated:
Police say a Roosevelt resident caught a stranger in his home Friday morning.
They say Darwin Ortiz, 21, was spotted on live surveillance inside the home on Mirin Avenue.
The homeowner called police. News 12 is told that when officers arrived, Ortiz refused to leave.
Police say officers eventually made phone contact with him and got him out of the home.
They say Ortiz had stolen property on him from a previous burglary at the home.
- Police say two men were arrested and a third is on the loose following a robbery in Valley Stream Saturday.
- Caroll Spinney, who gave Big Bird his warmth and Oscar the Grouch his growl for nearly 50 years on "Sesame Street," died Sunday at the age of 85 at his home in Connecticut, according to the Sesame Workshop.
- Riverhead police are investigating what witnesses say was a violent home invasion at an apartment complex Sunday morning.
- The Red Cross says 10 people were displaced following an apartment fire in Great Neck Saturday.The Red Cross says 10 people were displaced following an apartment fire in Great Neck Saturday.
- This week's Paws & Pals segment focuses on exotic animals and the difficulties owners can have when adopting one.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Kent Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 2259 River Road Calverton, NY 11933. Their phone number is 631-727-5731.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!