Tiny Hauppauge house met with big opposition from neighborsPosted: Updated:
Tiny houses are all the rage, but some residents on South Plaisted Avenue in Hauppauge say they're not big on one being built in their community.
Gail and Carl Castoro say a tiny house, which measures 21 1/2 feet wide and 36 feet long, will be squeezed into a small lot between their home and the one next door. They say it's way too close to them.
According to the Town of Smithtown's zoning codes, building a home requires at least 10,000 square feet of property. The tiny home's land is only 6,500 square feet, but the Zoning Board of Appeals approved it anyway.
An attorney for the property owner says the land is for sale and whoever buys it has to build a home within the size restrictions issued by the zoning board.
The Castoros call on town officials to "wake up" and look at the space.
A town spokesperson says the zoning board operates separately from the town board. But residents can get an attorney and appeal the decision even after the 60-day approval period.
- After months of investigation, a house with as many as 50 renters living in it has been shut down.After months of investigation, a house with as many as 50 renters living in it has been shut down.
- Suffolk officials touted safety in the county Monday morning.Suffolk officials touted safety in the county Monday morning.
- Patrick Day's promoter says the 27-year-old Freeport native is currently in a coma following his injury Saturday night.
- It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!
- An injured World War II veteran in Deer Park got an upgrade to his home courtesy of the Make It Count Foundation.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.