Amityville shooting puts schools on lockout, leaves man in critical conditionPosted: Updated:
A possibly drug- or gang-related shooting in Amityville village put schools in the community on lockout Tuesday afternoon and left a man in critical condition.
Police say the ordeal started around 1:45 p.m. with a shooting outside CPR Cell Phone Repair on Merrick Road in Amityville. A window of the shop was shattered by a bullet. News 12 is told that witnesses saw the victim's car racing north of the cellphone store, followed by a silver SUV. Both cars ended up on Oldfield Avenue, where police say the SUV driver opened fire on the victim's Dodge Charger, striking him in the head.
The 30-year-old victim, who has ties to two gangs, suffered a life-threatening gunshot wound to the head, police say. He was hospitalized and went into surgery.
Police say a person who ran from the scene was temporarily detained and eventually released.
Amityville School District Superintendent Dr. Mary T. Kelly tweeted that all schools were on lockout and students were being held for dismissal. The lockout was lifted around 3:45 p.m. Three Massapequa schools were also placed on lockout for a time.
A woman who lives near where the shooting happened says her son was home at the time and heard six gunshots.
Police swarmed the scene by air and on the ground, with K-9 units seeking the suspect or suspects responsible for the shooting.
Witnesses say they saw three men at the crime scene.
Police say the victim is not from the Amityville area. They wouldn't say with which gangs he is affiliated but did say one is not MS-13.
Police say they're working to determine if the shooting was drug- or gang-related. They say the victim and shooter might have known each other.
- Police say an 81-year-old man was viciously attacked and robbed in Valley Stream early Saturday morning.Police say an 81-year-old man was viciously attacked and robbed in Valley Stream early Saturday morning.
- State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Friday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Friday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.
- A Central Islip man is facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving a pit bull and keeping her in a dark basement.A Central Islip man is facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving a pit bull and keeping her in a dark basement.
- Police say a suspect wearing a ski mask opened fire on a man outside of a Bay Shore bar early Saturday morning.Police say a suspect wearing a ski mask opened fire on a man outside of a Bay Shore bar early Saturday morning.
- Police say a teen was robbed while riding his bicycle in Franklin Square Friday afternoon.Police say a teen was robbed while riding his bicycle in Franklin Square Friday afternoon.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.
- Service has been restored on the Long Island Rail Road's Long Beach branch after an equipment train slammed into a car in East Rockaway Monday.
- The number of measles cases are on the rise again as New York parents deal with new emergency rules about religious exemptions from vaccinations.
- Comisionado de la policía de NY despide a Pantaleo por muerte de Eric Garner. Tragedia en el Alto Manhattan por homicidio suicidio. Piden nueva ley para dar educación sexual a estudiantes de NY
- A winning Powerball ticket was sold at the BP Gas and Repair Station on Merrick Avenue in Merrick.A winning Powerball ticket was sold at the BP Gas and Repair Station on Merrick Avenue in Merrick.
- A group of teenagers say a motorist ran over their bikes in Commack -- and the incident was caught on camera.