Police: MS-13 member who killed teen, dumped body in woods arrestedPosted: Updated:
Police say they've arrested an MS-13 gang member who killed an 18-year-old from Uniondale and dumped his body in Massapequa Preserve.
Stanley Gerson Juarez, 22, of Hempstead, has been in jail for more than a year for crimes allegedly committed as part of MS-13. He was brought back to court Tuesday to face a murder charge.
Prosecutors say Juarez is one of several people who lured Bryan Steven Lemus to Massapequa Preserve in August 2016 and hacked him to death with a machete. Authorities say Lemus was marked for death over his affiliation with a particular gang clique.
Lemus' remains were unearthed at the preserve over Memorial Day weekend.
"They take their own from their own community, they hack them, stab them, decapitate them, cut their limbs off and bury them in shallow graves," Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder said at a news conference Tuesday morning.
Watch Tuesday's news conference on the arrest:
Ryder says Juarez is the 25th person arrested in connection with 12 MS-13 homicides committed in 2016 and 2017 in Nassau County. Seven of those victims, including Lemus, were buried in shallow graves across Nassau. Many of them were dug up after police received tips from informants on their locations.
In this case, police learned that Lemus was buried in the preserve after the 2017 discovery of another body there -- that of 18-year-old Julio Cesar Espantsay. It took several digs over the past year to find Lemus.
News 12 spoke with Lemus' mother by phone Tuesday. She says she's in great pain but is glad an arrest has been made.
Juarez is already facing charges for two shootings. He will be sentenced next week for a machete attack in Hempstead Lake State Park. He was held without bail Tuesday.
Gang Terror on Long IslandMore>>
- A member of MS-13 detailed the 2017 fatal shooting of a Hempstead man in court Wednesday.A member of MS-13 detailed the 2017 fatal shooting of a Hempstead man in court Wednesday.
- An MS-13 gang member was sentenced to 15 years Tuesday for attempted murder back in 2017.An MS-13 gang member was sentenced to 15 years Tuesday for attempted murder back in 2017.
- A suspected MS-13 gang member charged in connection with a machete slaying stood before a judge today.A suspected MS-13 gang member charged in connection with a machete slaying stood before a judge today.
- The leader of the Nassau PBA is calling for more to be done to keep the community and county officers safe from MS-13 violence.The leader of the Nassau PBA is calling for more to be done to keep the community and county officers safe from MS-13 violence.
- Nassau police say they've found human remains at the Massapequa Preserve in a slaying that's believed to be linked to MS-13.Nassau police say they've found human remains at the Massapequa Preserve in a slaying that's believed to be linked to MS-13.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.
- Police say an 81-year-old man was viciously attacked and robbed in Valley Stream early Saturday morning.
- State police have identified the man who was killed by an apparent gunshot wound Friday morning on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.
- A Central Islip man is facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly starving a pit bull and keeping her in a dark basement.
- Police say a suspect wearing a ski mask opened fire on a man outside of a Bay Shore bar early Saturday morning.
- Police say a teen was robbed while riding his bicycle in Franklin Square Friday afternoon.Police say a teen was robbed while riding his bicycle in Franklin Square Friday afternoon.
- A Garden City-based developer is in contract to purchase the 6-acre Superblock property on the Long Beach boardwalk.
- A steamy day is expected across Long Island, with the potential for severe weather later on.A steamy day is expected across Long Island, with the potential for severe weather later on.
- Echeverria is the ninth NYPD officer to commit suicide this year.Echeverria is the ninth NYPD officer to commit suicide this year.
- Un hombre de El Bronx se quitó la vida después que su perro fuera robado de un parque.Un hombre de El Bronx se quitó la vida después que su perro fuera robado de un parque.
- Tom Schaudel, owner of Jewel in Melville and Kingfish in Westbury, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to prepare a local black sea bass.