School budgets set to take place across LI TuesdayPosted: Updated:
School budget votes are set to take place around Long Island Tuesday, and taxpayers have some big decisions to make.
Spending plans in the 124 districts across Nassau and Suffolk counties total $13.1 billion for the 2019-2020 school year, according to Newsday. The numbers are up an average 2.5%.
Three districts are looking to pierce the state's property tax cap - Wyandanch, Eastport-South Manor and Wainscott.
Nearly every district is proposing a tax increase of some kind.
- Residents in the Wyandanch and Eastport-South Manor school districts cast their ballots Tuesday for budget revotes.
- During the assembly, Miabela Ortiz read a speech to the school about why her brother is her hero. She had no idea Eric was listening in from across the room.
- Hempstead Board of Education trustees on Tuesday blasted a bill introduced over the weekend that would add oversight to the 6,600-student school district.
- Hempstead students and their police mentors on Monday celebrated the end of the school year.Hempstead students and their police mentors on Monday celebrated the end of the school year.
- A petition is calling for fair funding for the Cleary School for the Deaf.A petition is calling for fair funding for the Cleary School for the Deaf.
- Police say Sharon Easter called 911 shortly after 8 a.m., telling the operator she killed her mother inside a Cocoanut Street home in Central Islip.
- Melissa Marchese, 18, died from her injuries after she and two classmates were hit by a car while making a turn at a light onto Route 25A.
- Police say the 10-year-old was walking on Gables Drive around 3:45 p.m. Tuesday when the incident happened.
- Police say the child was struck near the intersection of Dorothy Street and Broadway in Bethpage.Police say the child was struck near the intersection of Dorothy Street and Broadway in Bethpage.
- Alcalde Bill De Blasio escoge a Gregory Russ para dirigir a la agencia de vivienda pública NYCHA.Alcalde Bill De Blasio escoge a Gregory Russ para dirigir a la agencia de vivienda pública NYCHA.