Police: Fireworks led to Levittown house fire; man chargedPosted: Updated:
Police say a house fire on Blacksmith Road in Levittown was sparked by fireworks.
Police arrested and charged 29-year-old Simarjit Singh, who lives in the home that caught fire. They say a 13-year-old boy set off the fireworks, which then ignited the home.
The teen was issued an appearance ticket.
Police say they later found that Singh was storing illegal fireworks in the home's attic and may have been selling them. He was charged with the illegal sale and storage of fireworks. Family members wouldn't comment.
According to court documents, Singh had 120 2-inch mortars, nine 3-inch mortars, other, assorted 3-inch mortars and a mat of firecrackers. Police say the total value is over $900.
Neighbors say the family moved into the home about a year ago. Witnesses say the fire was quickly put out but damaged the house next door.
Singh was held on $10,000 bond and is due back in court later this week.
- Police say the 44-year-old man was crossing Washington Avenue north of Clarke Street in Brentwood when he was hit around 9 p.m. Sunday
- Police say around 9:40 p.m. Sunday, a man displayed what appeared to be a gun and stole cash, cigarettes and lotto tickets.
- Police say a 7-Eleven in Islip Terrace was robbed at gunpoint early Sunday morning.Police say a 7-Eleven in Islip Terrace was robbed at gunpoint early Sunday morning.
- A man was caught on surveillance video Friday exposing himself to women in a West Hempstead salon.A man was caught on surveillance video Friday exposing himself to women in a West Hempstead salon.
- Nassau police say they arrested an Elmont man for driving drunk with his two children in the car.Nassau police say they arrested an Elmont man for driving drunk with his two children in the car.
- Winter has come and winter has gone, the last of the heads have been lopped off and the last of the dragon fire has been spit as "Game of Thrones" aired its 73rd and final episode Sunday night.
- After eight years, and many deaths, HBO's "Game of Thrones" is finally over. Are you satisfied with the ending?
- The live-action Disney classic Aladdin hits theaters May 24. But how much do you know about the lovable street rat and his genie sidekick?