Police: Fireworks led to Levittown house fire; man charged

Posted: Updated:
LEVITTOWN -

Police say a house fire on Blacksmith Road in Levittown was sparked by fireworks.

Police arrested and charged 29-year-old Simarjit Singh, who lives in the home that caught fire. They say a 13-year-old boy set off the fireworks, which then ignited the home.

The teen was issued an appearance ticket.

Police say they later found that Singh was storing illegal fireworks in the home's attic and may have been selling them. He was charged with the illegal sale and storage of fireworks. Family members wouldn't comment.

According to court documents, Singh had 120 2-inch mortars, nine 3-inch mortars, other, assorted 3-inch mortars and a mat of firecrackers. Police say the total value is over $900.

Neighbors say the family moved into the home about a year ago. Witnesses say the fire was quickly put out but damaged the house next door.

Singh was held on $10,000 bond and is due back in court later this week.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."