Police: Fireworks led to Levittown house fire; man chargedPosted: Updated:
Police say a house fire on Blacksmith Road in Levittown was sparked by fireworks.
Police arrested and charged 29-year-old Simarjit Singh, who lives in the home that caught fire. They say a 13-year-old boy set off the fireworks, which then ignited the home.
The teen was issued an appearance ticket.
Police say they later found that Singh was storing illegal fireworks in the home's attic and may have been selling them. He was charged with the illegal sale and storage of fireworks. Family members wouldn't comment.
According to court documents, Singh had 120 2-inch mortars, nine 3-inch mortars, other, assorted 3-inch mortars and a mat of firecrackers. Police say the total value is over $900.
Neighbors say the family moved into the home about a year ago. Witnesses say the fire was quickly put out but damaged the house next door.
Singh was held on $10,000 bond and is due back in court later this week.
- A Levittown man is accused of hitting a pedestrian with his car and leaving the scene.A Levittown man is accused of hitting a pedestrian with his car and leaving the scene.
- A drunk driver struck two vehicles, including a school bus, and fled both times, police say.A drunk driver struck two vehicles, including a school bus, and fled both times, police say.
- Nine animals were tossed from moving vehicles in Suffolk in less than one month, in what officials are calling an epidemic, according to the Suffolk SPCA.
- Police say Peter Alford, 24, kept a private collection of child porn videos on his cellphone and computer.
- According to police, Corey Coach, 25, shot and killed Darnell Smith, of East Patchogue.According to police, Corey Coach, 25, shot and killed Darnell Smith, of East Patchogue.
- A teenager is dead after her Jet Ski collided with a boat in Baldwin Harbor Sunday morning.A teenager is dead after her Jet Ski collided with a boat in Baldwin Harbor Sunday morning.
- Police say a Smithtown man who worked as a teacher and coach in Kings Park was killed Sunday in a hit-and-run crash.
- A Nassau County police officer was airlifted to the hospital following a serious crash in Oyster Bay Monday.
- The New York state education commissioner unexpectedly announced she is retiring.The New York state education commissioner unexpectedly announced she is retiring.
- The Elwood community is coming together to help the family of the teen who lost his battle with epilepsy.