Mercury vapor shuts down Miller Place HS gym

Posted: Updated:
MILLER PLACE -

Parents received an email about a possible situation concerning detectable levels of mercury vapor found inside Miller Place High School.

District officials say they were made aware of it after testing the air in the gymnasium last Thursday. They believe the original synthetic floors used in the gym when the high school was built in the 1970s may be the cause of the vapor.

The gym has been closed until further notice. A plan of action will be based on the results of additional testing.

Other areas of the high school were tested, but detectable levels of mercury vapor were found only in the gym.

Adrienne Esposito, of Citizens Campaign for the Environment, says mercury vapor can be highly toxic and may cause anxiety, memory loss, confusion, tremors, blood pressure changes and more.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."