LIRR ticket prices increase with new MTA planPosted: Updated:
Fare hikes on the Long Island Railroad began Sunday.
The exact increase in prices for the LIRR depends on the zone, but according to the MTA, the maximum fare hike will be 3.85%.
Most Long Islanders will pay more than $300 for a monthly ticket. Those in western Nassau County are the exception -- they're still paying under $300. Commuters from Zone 10, places like Ronkonkoma, Bay Shore and Kings Park, will have to pay more than $400 per month. Anyone traveling from the East End will now have to pay $500.
The price increases were approved by the MTA board in February.
Under the new plan, riders will also have to pay more to use any of the MTA's bridges and tunnels. That went into effect last month.
Subway fees in New York City also jumped on Easter Sunday. The monthly MetroCard jumped up from $121 to $127.
The MTA says it needs this additional revenue to meet rising costs, achieve a balanced budget and provide safe and reliable service.
But some commuters News 12 spoke with said the service isn't all that reliable to begin with, and they're wondering if the fare hike will do any good.
"I see a lot of delays," says Lori Konikoff. "We have the app for the MTA and every day there's something going on. A delay or something, and you're paying all this extra money and the service should be better."
This is the second time since March 2017 that LIRR fares have gone up.
- A Coram family was trapped in their home Thursday without power following a nor'easter that took down trees and power lines across Long Island.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!
- Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.
- The Yankees were the lone playoff team to sweep their division series opponent. Now, they'll get a bigger challenges: the Houston Astros, who had baseball's best record in 2019.The Yankees were the lone playoff team to sweep their division series opponent. Now, they'll get a bigger challenges: the Houston Astros, who had baseball's best record in 2019.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.