Developer scales back Ronkonkoma arena proposalPosted: Updated:
The proposal for an arena in Ronkonkoma has been scaled back.
For more than a year, many Ronkonkoma residents have made it clear that original plans for a 17,500-seat sports arena was not welcomed in their neighborhood. Traffic, overcrowding and overdevelopment were among their concerns.
Now there's word from the developer about plans to scale down the project by more than half. Jones Lang LaSalle says the plan is to build a 7,500-seat arena on land between MacArthur Airport and the Ronkonkoma LIRR station.
The developer says they also aim to attract a minor league hockey team.
The billion-dollar development would include offices, a convention center and medical facilities.
But residents who spoke with News 12 say smaller isn't better. Many stand firm in their fierce opposition to the project.
Suffolk Legislator Robert Trotta says a convention center, not a hockey arena, would be fit for the area.
A Suffolk spokesperson says the county will review the developer's scaled-down plans once they are formally submitted.
- The Suffolk OTB is once again rolling the dice on a bid to open a casino in Medford.The Suffolk OTB is once again rolling the dice on a bid to open a casino in Medford.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Kent Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 2259 River Road Calverton, NY 11933. Their phone number is 631-727-5731.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!