Donors needed: NY Blood Center urges people to roll up sleeves, help save livesPosted: Updated:
The New York Blood Center is in need of donations, and it's urging Long Islanders to roll up their sleeves and help save lives.
The center says it's facing an emergency blood shortage. It says winter months are the most difficult in getting people through the doors to donate.
Those donations can be crucial to people like Rafaello Carone, who at a young age was diagnosed with high-risk leukemia.
Carone had 36 blood transfusions by the time he was 5 years old. It's been more than 10 years since his last transfusion, but he thinks about the people who helped him every day.
“Gratitude. Just feeling blessed that I'm here because others decided to be good Samaritans and save my life. It's a feeling I can't even describe,” he told News 12. "I battled cancer, and now thankfully, am in remission.”
The process of donating takes about 30 to 45 minutes in total. Each donation could help save up to three lives. Blood is needed for cancer treatments, accident victims, women in child birth and many other reasons.
New York Blood Center has different locations open around the Island every day. Anyone who is interested in becoming a donor can call 1-800-933-BLOOD or visit NYBloodCenter.org.
- An official groundbreaking ceremony took place Monday for the new Islanders arena at Belmont Park.An official groundbreaking ceremony took place Monday for the new Islanders arena at Belmont Park.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- In Hate at Home, a special network-wide News 12 investigation, our team examines hate crime data from across the tri-state area and speaks to those whose lives have been impacted by acts of hate.
- National Voter Registration Day is a holiday celebrated on the fourth Tuesday of every September. The date encourages people to register to vote.
- We have all heard of "Are you smarter than a 5th-grader?" Now it's your turn to find out if you are! News 12's Lily Stolzberg put people on the spot!
- Sights and scenes from the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, held Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- While costumed space aliens were a common and sometimes hilarious sight in events that began Thursday, no one has reported seeing actual extraterrestrials or UFOs.
- Fans taste tested some of the most popular dishes from all 30 Major League ballparks across the country in Manhattan this past weekend.
- ZZ Top performed at Jones Beach Thursday evening.ZZ Top performed at Jones Beach Thursday evening.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at North Fork Animal Welfare League. Their phone number is (631) 765-1811.