CO poisoning kills Suffolk man, sends wife to hospital

Posted: Updated:
WEST HILLS -

Carbon monoxide poisoning is being blamed for the death of a Suffolk man.

A woman called police around 8:30 a.m. Thursday saying her mother and stepfather were sick at their home on Scott Drive in West Hills. The mother had said she was vomiting all morning and that her husband was unconscious. Dispatchers told the woman to pull the couple from the home, but she was unable to do so.

Stephen Yancofski, 55, was rushed to a Plainview hospital where he died. His wife, 59-year-old Kyriaki Bouziotas, was in serious condition at Nassau University Medical Center.

Neighbors remember Yancofski as an "awesome guy" who got neighbors "together like a fraternity."

Police say there were no working carbon monoxide detectors inside the home and that the amount of carbon monoxide was well-above the lethal level.

Suffolk Detective Lt. Kevin Beyrer says the leak came from a broken a pipe on the hot water heater in the basement.

The American Red Cross has some tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, including installing a carbon monoxide detector near bedrooms, testing it every month, having heating systems inspected annually and calling 911 if the detector goes off.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."