Major US airlines plan to give 'nonbinary' choice under genderPosted: Updated:
By DAVID KOENIG
AP Airlines Writer
DALLAS (AP) - Major U.S. airlines say they will soon change their ticketing process to give passengers the option of identifying themselves as other than male or female.
The gender option on airline sites will soon include choices such as "undisclosed" or "unspecified." There could also be the optional title of "Mx."
The airlines say they are making the change to be more inclusive in dealing with a diverse population of travelers.
The move was praised by advocacy groups for transgender people.
"It's a significant step forward for nonbinary individuals, so they are not faced with a mismatch between their ticketing information and their legal identification," said Beck Bailey of the Human Rights Campaign.
The Transportation Security Administration says passengers should use the name, gender and birth date on their government-issued ID.
Bailey said he did not know of people with nonbinary identification being kept off planes or trains, but that fear of being stopped added to their stress.
American, Delta, United, Southwest, Alaska and JetBlue confirmed Friday that they are in the process of updating their booking tools and plan to add a binary option to the gender menu on their sites. They said the change will be made in the next several weeks.
"We certainly have a very diverse customer base. This will be well-received, and we're happy to do it," American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller said.
United Airlines plans to let people select M for male, F for female, U for undisclosed or X for unspecified from the gender menu when booking a ticket on its website or mobile app, said spokeswoman Andrea Hiller. They will also have the option of picking "Mx." as a title.
Hiller said the airline wants to make sure that "all of our customers feel comfortable and welcome no matter how they self-identify."
U.S. and international airline trade groups recently approved a new standard to handle customers with "nonbinary" IDs. The standard, which is not mandatory but more like guidance, takes effect June 1.
Airlines for America and the International Air Transport Association say the change will let airlines comply with requirements under U.S. and foreign laws that passenger information must match what is on the person's form of ID used for travel.
In 2017, Oregon became the first state to let residents identify themselves as neither male nor female on driver licenses and other ID cards. California, Colorado, Maine, Minnesota, Arkansas and Washington, D.C., also allow a nonbinary choice on licenses.
Those changes led the National Center for Transgender Equality and Human Rights Campaign to recommend that transgender people carry a second identification such as a passport that shows their sex as it appears on their ticket.
David Koenig can be reached at http://twitter.com/airlinewriter
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
2/15/2019 6:36:46 PM (GMT -5:00)
- Police in Nassau are searching for the hit-and-run driver who struck two men in a Westbury parking lot, leaving one of them with serious internal injuries.
- The alleged victim of police brutality was at the Nassau County courthouse in Mineola Friday for a follow-up appearance days after a video of his arrest by Freeport officers went viral.
- A building that was part of the Freeport skyline for 90 years has now been reduced to rubble.A building that was part of the Freeport skyline for 90 years has now been reduced to rubble.
- There was a major police presence on William Street in Center Moriches Friday.There was a major police presence on William Street in Center Moriches Friday.
- Uber, as part of a long anticipated safety report, revealed that more than 3,000 sexual assaults were reported during its U.S. rides in 2018.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Kent Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 2259 River Road Calverton, NY 11933. Their phone number is 631-727-5731.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!