Port Jefferson looks to drain flooding issuesPosted: Updated:
After being surprised by severe street flooding, Port Jefferson is taking steps to avoid being left underwater again.
Last September, an intense rainstorm dropped several inches of water onto the community, sending waist-deep water into restaurants, the fire department and other buildings.
At the 160-year-old Theatre Three, water cascaded into the basement, destroying sets, costumes and the lighting system.
Minor flooding was tolerated in Port Jefferson because of the geography, but the September flood made village Mayor Margot Garant rethink that.
Garant says the village will now fund a $10,000 study of the stormwater system. The study will focus on the bowl-shaped downtown area, where water tends to flow, and the older stormwater system that pours into the harbor.
The mayor says that once the study is completed, it will be used to possibly apply for state and federal grants to fund improvements.
The study is expected to be completed in about 60 days.
- A Long Beach woman is accused of killing the man she had been involved with for years, then setting his Centre Island home on fire to cover up the crime.
- One of the two people arrested in a Bay Shore drug bust Friday pleaded not guilty to a slew of charges.
- Hundreds of people put on their walking shoes to help support a great cause in East Meadow.Hundreds of people put on their walking shoes to help support a great cause in East Meadow.
- According to the East Brunswick Police Department, Brody mentioned to his mother that he wanted to “meet a policeman and see a police car.”
- ZZ Top performed at Jones Beach Thursday evening.ZZ Top performed at Jones Beach Thursday evening.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at North Fork Animal Welfare League. Their phone number is (631) 765-1811.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch. The shelter can be contacted via their website or email.