State DOT says fleet of trucks ready to tackle ice on LI roadsPosted: Updated:
DOT employees say the preparation process was underway all week. They've made sure trucks were ready to go with filled fuel tanks and necessary oil levels.
The trucks were then readied with enough salt for the roads. Trucks put salt down ahead of time, before temperatures dropped.
"Our salt is in very good shape. We're close to 100 percent full. Our fuel is in good shape, we have more than 250 trucks for this storm. Close to 40 loaders to load the salt, to keep everything moving," says Joseph Brown, of the State DOT.
LINK: DOT Safe Driving Tips
Brown says the most important thing to remember when you see those DOT workers, to stay out the way. Workers want to make sure they have all of the room on the roads they need.
"If it's 10 degrees and -10 degrees wind chill, we're very concerned about people being out on the roads," says Brown. "Staying clear of our highways if there's any bans, paying attention to those bans and giving us the opportunity to do our work."
The DOT also met with local police departments, the parks department, and multiple other agencies to make sure everything goes according to plan.
Residents say they weren't too concerned for any ice, snow and rain. Some people News 12 spoke to say they got their last-minute shopping done and planned to stay home for all of Sunday.
- Police say a man held a woman at gunpoint before stealing her car in a Lake Grove supermarket parking lot Monday night.
- A Nassau County legislator is suing the Town of Hempstead over campaign signs that were removed from in front of his office last June.
- Police say two women are wanted in connection to a robbery at a Freeport beauty supply store Sunday afternoon.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- If you are a grouch, today is your special day. Happy National Grouch Day!If you are a grouch, today is your special day. Happy National Grouch Day!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.