Westbury home clutter hampers firefighting efforts

Posted: Updated:
WESTBURY -

Flames destroyed a home in Westbury that firefighters say was so full of clutter that it hampered their efforts in knocking down the blaze.

Firefighters responded to the multifamily home on Sherman Street around 8 a.m. Wednesday. The fire blew out the front windows and caused wiring to spark.

Wayne Wallace rented a room in the house. He says he was asleep at the time and was woken up by an upstairs neighbor. They ran out of the burning home.

Officials say all six people inside made it out unharmed.

The Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office says there were no working smoke detectors in the house. Westbury Fire Chief Kenneth Gass called it a total loss and says the home will be boarded up. He says all three floors of the house were cluttered with furniture and personal belongings.

The fire marshal's office says the fire was an accident, blaming an electrical problem near the boiler room.

Officials say the house was split into illegal apartments.

The Red Cross was on scene to help those affected by the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."