Sources: Authorities acting on 'credible tip' in effort to unearth possible victim of MS-13Posted: Updated:
Investigators returned to the Massapequa Preserve Saturday to continue the search for human remains after receiving information about a possible victim of MS-13 being buried there.
Sources told News 12 Long Island that they are acting on a credible tip in their effort to unearth a body.
The search started early Friday just south of the Sunrise Highway and north of the Massapequa Lake -- the same area where authorities found the body of Julio Espantzay-Gonzalez in March 2017.
Prosecutors say he was lured there in January 2017 by MS-13 gang members with the promise of sex and drugs. They say he was then hacked to death with machetes because MS-13 thought he was a member of a rival gang.
It is also the same area that investigators returned to last November to search for human remains, though nothing was found then.
Nassau police, detectives and a state police K-9 unit were on the scene Saturday morning, scouting a heavily wooded part of the preserve.
For a second straight day, investigators are back here at the Massapequa Preserve. A source says they're looking for human remains, potentially belonging to another victim of MS-13. pic.twitter.com/lx6cU2yLm6— Kevin Vesey (@KevinVesey) November 3, 2018
“I have two young children, 15 and 16, two daughters, and my husband and I are absolutely terrified that something could happen to our kids or any other children in this area or any areas nearby,” says Cathie Bellini, who lives across the street from the preserve.
Police have not indicated whether anything was found during Saturday's search or whether they will return on Sunday.
- An Amityville woman had 10 dogs and two cats living in deplorable conditions inside her home on the 100 block of Sterling Place, according to the Suffolk County SPCA.
- Prosecutors say an MS-13 gang member killed a classmate in a July 2018 shooting because the 17-year-old victim wouldn't hang out with him.
- According to investigators, the incident started at Lucky Lotto in Bohemia just after 9:30 p.mAccording to investigators, the incident started at Lucky Lotto in Bohemia just after 9:30 p.m
- Police have made an arrest in connection with a 2018 ambush-style slaying in East Patchogue.Police have made an arrest in connection with a 2018 ambush-style slaying in East Patchogue.
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- This week's pets are up for adoption at Southampton Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 102 Old Riverhead Road West in Hampton Bays. Their phone number is 631-728-7387.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Follow school budget vote results live throughout the night.Follow school budget vote results live throughout the night.
- El testigo clave de la fiscalía en el caso de 'Junior' Guzmán-Feliz testificará una tercera vez esta semana.
- According to police, the driver of the truck was backing into the Handy Pantry parking lot on Smithtown Boulevard in Nesconset Tuesday morning.
- The family is launching its new operation "RGNY" this weekend, according to Newsday.The family is launching its new operation "RGNY" this weekend, according to Newsday.