Audit finds no oversight for Nassau’s ‘take-home’ vehicles

Posted: Updated:
MINEOLA -

Nassau Comptroller Jack Schnirman says oversight is needed for the hundreds of county employees who use free cars on and off the job.

According to the comptroller’s audit, there are 383 vehicles in Nassau County's take-home vehicle fleet. Schnirman says from 2015-2018, there was no oversight of the vehicles.

He claims there was not a complete inventory list of the vehicles and no process to assign who took home the vehicles. Schnirman says there was nothing in place to ensure that employees complied with the motor vehicle policies.

"There's no formal policy in place to ensure that vehicles are returned in a timely manner after an employee retires, resigns or is terminated," he told News 12.

Schnirman says in one instance, a county employee had retired and they were unable to track down his take-home vehicle for several weeks.

"There's no possible explanation why former employees should be in possession of county property after leaving county employment,” says Schnirman. “It's impossible to put a certain dollar figure on it but I think we can all agree that it's waste we can't afford."

Schnirman says he's made several recommendations to the new administration that include keeping an accurate master list of the fleet and who is assigned to each vehicle. He says, so far, the administration is complying with all the recommendations.

The comptroller says he will revisit the issue in six months to see what progress has been made.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Suffolk DA: BWI charges dropped in deadly Mattituck boating accident

    Suffolk DA: BWI charges dropped in deadly Mattituck boating accident

    Friday, November 22 2019 5:26 PM EST2019-11-22 22:26:44 GMT
    BWI charges have been dropped against the boat operator in a fatal Mattituck crash.BWI charges have been dropped against the boat operator in a fatal Mattituck crash.
    BWI charges have been dropped against the boat operator in a fatal Mattituck crash.BWI charges have been dropped against the boat operator in a fatal Mattituck crash.
    BWI charges have been dropped against the boat operator in a fatal Mattituck crash.
    BWI charges have been dropped against the boat operator in a fatal Mattituck crash.
  • GUIDE: SopranosCon comes to New Jersey – For the Fans, By the Fans

    GUIDE: SopranosCon comes to New Jersey – For the Fans, By the Fans

    Hey! Oh, OH! Guess what’s coming to the Meadowlands Exposition Center on Nov. 23 and 24? No, it’s not Christopher getting fake whacked in the weeds. It’s SopranosCon – and the highwater mark for 90s and early-2000s is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary.Hey! Oh, OH! Guess what’s coming to the Meadowlands Exposition Center on Nov. 23 and 24? No, it’s not Christopher getting fake whacked in the weeds. It’s SopranosCon – and the highwater mark for 90s and early-2000s is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary.
    Hey! Oh, OH! Guess what’s coming to the Meadowlands Exposition Center on Nov. 23 and 24? No, it’s not Christopher getting fake whacked in the weeds. It’s SopranosCon – and the highwater mark for 90s and early-2000s is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary.Hey! Oh, OH! Guess what’s coming to the Meadowlands Exposition Center on Nov. 23 and 24? No, it’s not Christopher getting fake whacked in the weeds. It’s SopranosCon – and the highwater mark for 90s and early-2000s is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary.
    Think Comic Con with mobsters and antipasta.
    Think Comic Con with mobsters and antipasta.
  • County Executive Bellone responds to bombshell dropped at ex-DA's trial

    County Executive Bellone responds to bombshell dropped at ex-DA's trial

    Friday, November 22 2019 6:21 PM EST2019-11-22 23:21:38 GMT
    Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone responded Friday to the bombshell testimony dropped at the obstruction of justice trial of former Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota and his top aide Christopher McPartland.Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone responded Friday to the bombshell testimony dropped at the obstruction of justice trial of former Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota and his top aide Christopher McPartland.
    Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone responded Friday to the bombshell testimony dropped at the obstruction of justice trial of former Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota and his top aide Christopher McPartland.Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone responded Friday to the bombshell testimony dropped at the obstruction of justice trial of former Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota and his top aide Christopher McPartland.
    Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone responded Friday to the bombshell testimony dropped at the obstruction of justice trial of former Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota and his top aide Christopher McPartland.
    Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone responded Friday to the bombshell testimony dropped at the obstruction of justice trial of former Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota and his top aide Christopher McPartland.
sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."