Islanders join anti-bullying campaign on National Coming Out DayPosted: Updated:
The New York Islanders announced Thursday that the team has partnered with the LGBT Network for the Coming Out Day campaign and an anti-bullying program in more than 200 schools.
Coming Out Day allows people to share their personal stories with friends and loved ones.
But advocates for the LGBTQ community say the day is about so much more than that; it's about creating safe places at schools, businesses and sporting events, as well as promoting tolerance and teaching inclusion.
The Islanders say the franchise is the first professional sports team to participate in the National Coming Out Day campaign. They will host a pride night on Jan. 13.
- Prosecutors say a veteran Hempstead village police officer stole an encrypted police radio and intended to sell it to a towing company for $10,000.
- Voters on Tuesday cast their ballots in several village mayoral and trustee races on Long Island.Voters on Tuesday cast their ballots in several village mayoral and trustee races on Long Island.
- The Food Fight battle continues on News 12 Long Island!The Food Fight battle continues on News 12 Long Island!
- A petition is being aimed at firing three teachers at Roosevelt Middle School, following the display of images of nooses labeled "back-to-school necklaces."
- Nassau and Suffolk have been ranked as the second and 16th most healthy counties, respectively, in New York state.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!
- Heading out to a St. Patrick's Day parade? Or maybe you just love to celebrate the holiday? Either way, News 12 Long Island wants to see your photos! Upload them or post on Instagram or Twitter with #LISTPATS to show your St. Patrick's Day spirit!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!