106th Air Rescue Wing heads to Michael’s path of destructionPosted: Updated:
Members of the 106th Air Rescue Wing out of Gabreski Airport in Westhampton Beach are gearing up to assist in rescue efforts as Hurricane Michael batters Florida’s Gulf Coast.
The Rescue Wing plans to bring about 75 troops to the area, along with aircraft and Zodiac boats.
Capt. Michael O'Hagan is part of the team that he said would head south either Wednesday or Thursday.
“We are in the search and rescue business. That's what we do," he told News 12.
O’Hagan says the Rescue Wing was part of nearly 600 saves when Hurricane Harvey struck Houston.
According to reports, 155 mph winds from Hurricane Michael splintered homes and submerged neighborhoods. It is being considered the most powerful hurricane to hit the continental United States in nearly 50 years.
- A 10-year-old male student brought a loaded, .40-caliber handgun to Meadow Elementary School in Baldwin on Monday, according to police.
- Police say a school bus driver kissed a 15-year-old Patchogue-Medford School District student who was alone on his bus.
- Six people who police say are MS-13 members are accused of plotting to kill two other gang members between August 2018 and January 2019.
- Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder and Dr. Tanya Adams, a member of Doctors for Cannabis Regulation, joined News 12's Stone Grissom in the studio to discuss the issue.
- Even as floodwaters receded in hard-hit places in in the Midwest, experts warned that with plenty of snow still left to melt in northern states, the relief may only be temporary.
- KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.
- Show your Pinstripe Pride!Show your Pinstripe Pride!
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- Money performed on his 70th birthday.Money performed on his 70th birthday.