Clerk with bat chases off machete-wielding serial robbery suspectPosted: Updated:
A machete-wielding suspect who tried to rob a Suffolk gas station early Sunday morning was chased off by a clerk armed with a bat, and police say the suspect is now behind bars in connection with a string of holdups.
Surveillance video obtained exclusively by News 12 Long Island shows the suspect enter the Valero station on Montauk Highway in Oakdale shortly before 3 a.m. The robber's weapon is visible in the video as he his mask.
But the store clerk can be seen hustling behind the counter and returning into the video frame with a bat, chasing the would-be robber from the store.
Police say the suspect has been identified as 37-year-old Ronald Fuzia, of Islip Terrace. He was arrested early this morning and he's now facing multiple charges after police say they tied him to several other holdups, including at a Shell station in Islip Terrance, a 7-Eleven, and at the very same Valero back on July 31.
People who work at the gas station tell News 12 that they're relieved the suspect is now in custody.
Fuzia is being charged with three counts of first-degree robbery. He was due to go before a judge on Sunday.
Fuzia's bond was set at $120,000. He is due back in court Oct. 5.
- Police are working to track down the thieves behind a phone scam that swindled more than $100,000 from a Massapequa senior citizen.
- A Syosset man accused of fatally stabbing his mother and injuring his father during an argument pleaded not guilty Friday from Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.
- A Levittown woman was arrested in connection with a deadly overdose.A Levittown woman was arrested in connection with a deadly overdose.
- According to police, the three women, all from Flushing, Queens, were arrested Thursday night at Hau Xia Healthy Center.
- Police say they arrested Stuart Babitch on Wednesday.Police say they arrested Stuart Babitch on Wednesday.
- Even as floodwaters receded in hard-hit places in in the Midwest, experts warned that with plenty of snow still left to melt in northern states, the relief may only be temporary.
- KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- Money performed on his 70th birthday.Money performed on his 70th birthday.
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.
- The Justice Department said Sunday that special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation did not find evidence that President Donald Trump's campaign "conspired or coordinated" with Russia.
- A West Babylon man is charged with manslaughter after police say he intentionally ran down a young father from Wyandanch and then fled the scene following an early morning fight in a pub parking lot.
- After 2,800 subpoenas, 500 search warrants and 500 witness interviews, the Mueller report is complete, and Long Island residents have a lot to say about it. Attorney General William Barr's summary of the report says investigators didn't find that the pres
- The Viking Sky was carrying 1,373 passengers and crew, going from Norway's Arctic north to the southern city of Stavanger when it had engine trouble along Norway's rough, frigid western coast.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo was on Long Island Sunday to discuss his plan for a permanent property tax cap.Gov. Andrew Cuomo was on Long Island Sunday to discuss his plan for a permanent property tax cap.