News 12's Most-Viewed: #2 - Police: Mother of MS-13 victim fatally struck by driver at vigilPosted: Updated:
News 12 Digital is highlighting the most-viewed stories of 2018 as part of our 'News 12's Most-Viewed' series. This story on the death of the mother of an MS-13 victim was first published on Sept. 14. Original story below.
The mother of a Brentwood teenager who was brutally murdered by MS-13 was killed Friday after she was run over by a driver during a confrontation just before a candlelight vigil honoring her daughter’s memory.
The incident occurred on Stahley Street Friday afternoon, exactly two years from when Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, were beaten and stabbed to death.
News 12 was on site before the incident to cover a candlelight vigil planned for the evening. News 12 was told that a memorial to the two girls was set up in front of a home, when a homeowner came out and started to dismantle it.
News 12 cameras were rolling when Evelyn Rodriguez and a man were confronting a female driver in an SUV. It appeared that Rodriguez and the man were yelling at the driver. The man is seen pushing the car.
It was then that the car accelerated and ran over Evelyn Rodriguez. Police say she was transported to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where she was pronounced dead.
Rep. Peter King, who had been working with Rodriguez on a campaign ad, told News 12 that her death is "almost too tragic to be real."
Rep. King lauded Rodriguez as an advocate against gang violence in the community.
Evelyn Rodriguez has passed away. Terrible news. RIP— Rep. Pete King (@RepPeteKing) September 14, 2018
"It's too much to believe that so much bad could happen to one good person," Rep. King told News 12.
Police say the driver stayed at the scene and that no charges have been filed at this time.
- A Coram family was trapped in their home Thursday without power following a nor'easter that took down trees and power lines across Long Island.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!
- Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.
- Food Allergy Research & Education's Teal Pumpkin Project is raising food allergies awareness. You can be inclusive for all trick or treaters with the addition of trinkets and toys to your treats.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.