New music program helps seniors suffering from dementiaPosted: Updated:
A program in Patchogue is helping seniors who are suffering from dementia.
Using grant money and a matching donation, the Pilot Club purchased MP3 players for residents at McPeak's Assisted Living facility in Patchogue.
The goal is to use the players to help improve residents’ brain function.
According to the Alzheimer's Association, an estimated 5.7 million Americans of all ages are living with Alzheimer's dementia in 2018.
A 2018 report from the Journal of Prevention of Alzheimer's Disease found "objective evidence from brain imaging shows personally meaningful music is an alternative route for communicating with patients who have Alzheimer's disease."
The Pilot Club donated 23 MP3 players with about 100 personalized songs for each resident at McPeak's nursing facility as part of a Music and Memory Program. The music ranges from big bands to Frank Sinatra to classical music.
- A teenager is dead after her Jet Ski collided with a boat in Baldwin Harbor Sunday morning.A teenager is dead after her Jet Ski collided with a boat in Baldwin Harbor Sunday morning.
- Police say a Smithtown man who worked as a teacher and coach in Kings Park was killed Sunday in a hit-and-run crash.
- Siguen las protestas en nuestra área en rechazo a las deportaciones masivas anunciadas por el presidente Trump.
- The New York state education commissioner unexpectedly announced she is retiring.The New York state education commissioner unexpectedly announced she is retiring.
- A relay protection system that should have isolated a faulty distribution cable but didn't led to the loss of power that darkened Manhattan for several hours, Con Ed said Monday in a preliminary review.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Fans flocked to see G Love., moe. and Blues Traveler Thursday.Fans flocked to see G Love., moe. and Blues Traveler Thursday.
- Are you heading to the USA women's soccer team's World Cup victory parade in New York City today? We want to see your photos!
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Our Best Friends Animal Rescue Inc. They brought five puppies!
- Journey tribute band Voyage performed at a sold-out Paramount in Huntington on Saturday, June 8, 2019.