Police begin crackdown on impaired, distracted driversPosted: Updated:
State and local police on Friday began increased enforcement for inebriated drivers as part of the nationwide Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign.
It will be in effect through Labor Day. The goal is to prevent crashes caused by drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol.
State Trooper Brian Egan says police will also be on the lookout for texting drivers -- another potentially dangerous situation.
Law enforcement officials say more people are on the roads this time of year, traveling to and from vacation destinations. They say there are also many end-of-summer celebrations after which intoxicated people are getting behind the wheel.
News 12's Amy McGorry rode along with Egan as he shared signs of an impaired driver. The big tip-off, he says, is swerving between lanes.
"A lot of people get tired and a lot of these accidents are because they are falling asleep," Egan says.
Lawyers say a DWI could cost someone at least $5,000.
Police suggest that hosts call a ride-sharing service, or someone else, to pick up a guest who has perhaps had too much to drink.
- Police say a man held a woman at gunpoint before stealing her car in a Lake Grove supermarket parking lot Monday night.
- A Nassau County legislator is suing the Town of Hempstead over campaign signs that were removed from in front of his office last June.
- Police say two women are wanted in connection to a robbery at a Freeport beauty supply store Sunday afternoon.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- If you are a grouch, today is your special day. Happy National Grouch Day!If you are a grouch, today is your special day. Happy National Grouch Day!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.