American AirPower Museum remembers 100th anniversary of first airmail deliveryPosted: Updated:
A centennial celebration of the first airmail delivery by the U.S. Postal Service was canceled Sunday.
A plane was supposed to land at the American AirPower Museum in Farmingdale to remember the date. An issue with the plane and the weather forecast forced the event to be rescheduled.
The manager of the museum says the first plane of the U.S. Postal Service carrying mail flew from Maryland to Belmont Park on Aug. 12, 1918.
A reenactment of the event was supposed to include a 100-year-old biplane making a trip from College Park, MD to Farmingdale.
Larry Starr, of the American Airpower Museum, says it's important to remember the start of airmail because it is still a big part of society.
"Mail will always be important no matter what digital media is," Starr says. "You need hard copies of things, packages that can't go through computers."
The Postal Service also issued special stamps for the 100-year anniversary.
- The Justice Department said Sunday that special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation did not find evidence that President Donald Trump's campaign "conspired or coordinated" with Russia.
- A West Babylon man is charged with manslaughter after police say he intentionally ran down a young father from Wyandanch and then fled the scene following an early morning fight in a pub parking lot.
- After 2,800 subpoenas, 500 search warrants and 500 witness interviews, the Mueller report is complete, and Long Island residents have a lot to say about it. Attorney General William Barr's summary of the report says investigators didn't find that the pres
- The Viking Sky was carrying 1,373 passengers and crew, going from Norway's Arctic north to the southern city of Stavanger when it had engine trouble along Norway's rough, frigid western coast.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo was on Long Island Sunday to discuss his plan for a permanent property tax cap.Gov. Andrew Cuomo was on Long Island Sunday to discuss his plan for a permanent property tax cap.
- Even as floodwaters receded in hard-hit places in in the Midwest, experts warned that with plenty of snow still left to melt in northern states, the relief may only be temporary.
- KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- Money performed on his 70th birthday.Money performed on his 70th birthday.
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.