Suffolk sheriff pushes tracker for people with dementia, Alzheimer'sPosted: Updated:
The Suffolk County Sheriff's Department is raising awareness about a program to help families track down missing relatives with dementia or Alzheimer's disease.
Project Lifesaver provides radio bracelets to people with cognitive impairments so that sheriff's officers can locate them.
"We've been able to locate individuals within 15 minutes after it was reported to us," says Sheriff Errol Toulon Jr.
Toulon says the program began 10 years ago.
Gail Storm, of the Long Island Alzheimer's Foundation, says it's a good idea.
"Particularly for people with dementia," she says. "It's really important to know where they are and track them the minute you discover that they are lost."
Something like that could have helped authorities find 74-year-old John Wile, who died after he wandered out of his Stony Brook home.
Families who would like to participate in Project Lifesaver can fill out an application at the sheriff's office. The device costs $300.
- The Suffolk County Water Authority board on Tuesday unanimously passed a rate hike with a new tier system that may hit some homeowners harder than others.
- An East End farmer is the first on the Island to grow and produce CBD, or cannabidiol, products made from marijuana plants.
- The 10-year-old boy who police say brought a loaded handgun to his Baldwin school has been charged with criminal possession of a weapon.
- Environmentalists say many household products like laundry detergent, shampoo, body wash and hand soap are contaminated with a known possible carcinogen called 1,4-dioxane.
- The Glen Cove City Council will vote tonight on whether to reduce the speed limit on certain roads.The Glen Cove City Council will vote tonight on whether to reduce the speed limit on certain roads.
- Even as floodwaters receded in hard-hit places in in the Midwest, experts warned that with plenty of snow still left to melt in northern states, the relief may only be temporary.
- KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.
- Show your Pinstripe Pride!Show your Pinstripe Pride!
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- Money performed on his 70th birthday.Money performed on his 70th birthday.