‘Long Island Shark Man’ says recent attacks were accidentalPosted: Updated:
Two separate shark attacks off Fire Island three weeks ago set off concerns on many South Shore beaches.
But was that reaction justified?
News 12 spoke with Massapequa's Chris Stefanou, who calls himself the “Long Island Shark Man.”
He has been reeling in sharks for the last three years while standing on Tobay Beach. He estimates he's nabbed about 40 during that time – all for the sake of conservation.
“Everybody gives them such a bad rap,” says Stefanou. “The sharks need us and we need the sharks,” he says.
He is passionate about shark conservation, safe fishing practices and shark research. He says what happened a few weeks ago off Fire Island disappointed him, and called the attack accidental.
Stefanou says he tags the sharks for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration so experts can study their patterns.
- Police say a fight between two drivers in Valley Stream led to a high-speed chase that ended in an overnight crash in Hempstead.
- The four contested races include a bitter battle in Lynbrook between Mayor Alan Beach and Deputy Mayor Hilary Becker.
- The Food Fight battle continues on News 12 Long Island!The Food Fight battle continues on News 12 Long Island!
- The tech giant revealed their 'Stadia' gaming service Tuesday at the Game Developer's Conference in Boston, MA.
- Toy Story 4 new trailerToy Story 4 new trailer
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!
- Heading out to a St. Patrick's Day parade? Or maybe you just love to celebrate the holiday? Either way, News 12 Long Island wants to see your photos! Upload them or post on Instagram or Twitter with #LISTPATS to show your St. Patrick's Day spirit!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!