Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Neighbors want action on leaky gas valvePosted: Updated:
Residents in a Ronkonkoma neighborhood say they're dealing with an ongoing gas leak, even as National Grid says the issue is minor.
For nearly a year, neighbors near University Drive say they've been smelling the odor of gas.
"For months we've been calling National Grid about it. A couple of times I thought it was the barbecue on, but it's not," says resident Kaitlyn Sheehan.
She and a few of her neighbors are worried that a leaking gas valve could pose a danger. They say they routinely open up its cover and pour water over it to see if there's a leak -- and bubbles indicate that gas is leaking out.
News 12 reached out to National Grid for comment. A rep for the utility called it a "redundant leak," saying, "It's a minor leak, away from residential homes and properties. The crews survey and reassess and are currently working to resolve the leak and will continue to monitor."
The valve that neighbors pointed to is just feet away from residential homes on a cul-de-sac.
Sheehan says she's seen National Grid crews in the area, but says that's not enough. She wants the leak fixed.
"I actually asked the worker yesterday at National Grid, if someone were to park over the valve if it's potentially dangerous. He said absolutely, just the right amount of heat and gas could easily blow it up," Sheehan says. "Somebody could drive down and flick a cigarette, and boom."
National Grid says the valve is surveyed on a planned schedule.
- Boeing is pinning its hope for the its ultra-long haul 777 plane on Australian national carrier Qantas, which is deciding whether to put an order for the planes to serve its Sydney-London flights.Boeing is pinning its hope for the its ultra-long haul 777 plane on Australian national carrier Qantas, which is deciding whether to put an order for the planes to serve its Sydney-London flights.
- Here are the latest business headlines from Cheddar.Here are the latest business headlines from Cheddar.
- Harley-Davidson is putting its electric bike on pause.Harley-Davidson is putting its electric bike on pause.
- A big shakeup at Boeing: Dennis Muilenburg will remain CEO but will lose his chairman title on Friday.A big shakeup at Boeing: Dennis Muilenburg will remain CEO but will lose his chairman title on Friday.
- Uber and Lyft are suing New York City over a rule that limits the time drivers can cruise without passengers.Uber and Lyft are suing New York City over a rule that limits the time drivers can cruise without passengers.
- Torrential rain, high winds and flooding hit Long Island.Torrential rain, high winds and flooding hit Long Island.
- Businesses in Freeport impacted by last week's nor'easter are ready for another round of pounding rain and damaging winds.
- Thunderbolt 12 was in Mineola on Jericho Turnpike Wednesday where rain disrupted the evening commute and brought some flooding concerns.
- Wednesday's weather was like deja vu for homeowners along the South Shore who had finally seen the flooding from last week's storm recede.
- Alerta del tiempo hay lluvia intensa para esta noche.Alerta del tiempo hay lluvia intensa para esta noche.