Governor sets up commission for plan to legalize marijuana in statePosted: Updated:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo has appointed a commission to draft legislation that would help legalize marijuana for adult use in New York state.
One of the members of the commission, Jeff Reynolds of the Family and Children's Association of Long Island, is the only Long Island resident appointed by the governor to help draft legislation.
"The experiences in other states have been somewhat mixed. In some states, we've seen an increase in adolescent drug treatment admissions. We've seen an increase in fatal car crashes because folks are driving after smoking marijuana. We've seen an increase in emergency room visits for infants and toddlers who have picked up edible forms of marijuana," says Reynolds.
Pot proponent, like Doug Greene from the National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws, disagrees with that sentiment and says reform is necessary.
The push comes in the midst of Gov. Cuomo's re-election campaign.
Proponents for marijuana hope to see legislation passed as soon as next year.
According to the governor's office, the legislation would address the number of non-violent drug offenders caught up in the criminal justice system.
- Two teachers tied to a photo depicting two nooses at Roosevelt Middle School have been fired, while one is on paid leave pending a hearing.
- According to police, Sean Marazino was arrested Tuesday when emergency services dislodged him from an air conditioning vent at a Bay Shore dental practice.
- Voters on Tuesday cast their ballots in 10 villages for contested mayoral and trustee positions on Long Island.
- According to police, the 62-year-old victim was driving when he was cut off and forced to stop by a dark colored sedan.
- Happy National Ravioli Day! Do you enjoy the Italian dish?Happy National Ravioli Day! Do you enjoy the Italian dish?
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!
- Heading out to a St. Patrick's Day parade? Or maybe you just love to celebrate the holiday? Either way, News 12 Long Island wants to see your photos! Upload them or post on Instagram or Twitter with #LISTPATS to show your St. Patrick's Day spirit!