Doctors fit Marine with custom prosthetic for swimmingPosted: Updated:
Doctors fitted a Marine from Long Island with a new 3D-printed prosthetic leg Wednesday in East Meadow.
Kevin Vaughan was injured while serving in Afghanistan in 2011. He says the prosthetic leg he was using was not properly made for usage in the water.
“Now, I'll have to readjust my whole swimming technique," he told News 12.
His new leg was custom-printed for Vaughan, and has holes that enable him to push forward in the water.
Vaughan was among a group of people with lower-limb amputations trying out the prosthetic at the aquatic center at Eisenhower Park. Researchers hope that 3D printing prosthetics will make it more accessible to amputees, because swim legs aren't always covered by insurance.
Researchers at Northwell Health say other swim prosthetics can cost as much as $10,000. The custom piece will run about $6,000.
Vaughan says others like him have motivated him to keep challenging himself in and out of the water.
"There's no reason to waste your time sitting down doing nothing. There are so many people worse off than me that have achieved way more than me. That's my motivation to just keep going," he told News 12.
The new prosthetic hasn't been approved by the FDA yet, but Northwell Health is taking preorders.
- A vigil Tuesday night honored a Levittown man who police say was killed by a hit-and-run driver skipping out on $22 worth of gas.
- On Friday morning, expect a wintry mix to change to light rain by 8 a.m.On Friday morning, expect a wintry mix to change to light rain by 8 a.m.
- The submissions have been tallied, and here are your Top 12 fitness routines!The submissions have been tallied, and here are your Top 12 fitness routines!
- Several Nassau County police radios vanished months ago, and sources tell News 12 Long Island that there's an investigation into whether they were intentionally stolen and possibly resold.
- Police say a Bay Shore man with a prior conviction for child pornography was arrested on the same charge.
- An NYPD manhunt that spilled into a Nassau County neighborhood had the community on edge for hours Tuesday.
- Nassau law enforcement members blasted Curran's order for ICE to exit a trailer at the county jail, calling it "soft on crime."
- Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo covered topics ranging from legalizing recreational marijuana use to school aid in his State of the State address on Tuesday.
- Vowing "I will not be bullied," President Donald Trump's nominee for attorney general asserted independence from the White House on Tuesday.
- Former major league pitcher John Wetteland has been arrested in Texas and charged with continuous sex abuse of a child under age 14.
- "Roma" was the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron.
- The historic Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford has burned to the ground.The historic Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford has burned to the ground.
- Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!
The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
News 12 Long Island wants to announce your wedding. Share your pictures and videos with News 12 Long Island viewers!
- Various pictures of Lindsay Lohan throughout the years.Various pictures of Lindsay Lohan throughout the years.
- Just a few days after the Golden Globe Awards, stars hit the red carpet in New York City for the National Board of Review Awards.
Each week, News 12's Lily Stolzberg heads into the kitchen with a different chef to cook up some delicious meals.
- Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg host the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, on Sunday, Jan. 6, 2019.