Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Caught on doorbell cam: Would-be burglar chased out by dogsPosted: Updated:
A doorbell security camera captured a would-be burglar in the act of breaking into a home in Shirley early Monday morning.
The footage from Ring.com shows the suspect trying to break into Alicia Scambati’s home at 1:06 a.m. The man pulls his T-shirt over his face, opens the screen door, tugs at the front door and leaves.
At 1:31 a.m., he returns -- this time wearing a ski mask, sweatshirt and pants. He tugs at the door again, which was unlocked. He leaves and returns four minutes later.
The suspect enters the house, but he's quickly chased out by Scambati's barking dogs.
“I get the chills because you don't know what he was thinking, what he wanted,” said Scambati. “Was he looking to hurt us? Was he ready to fight? Did he have a weapon? Was he looking to rape one of us? There are four women who live here. Completely terrifying.”
Scambati captured video of the suspect by using the Ring app on her cellphone. The security system is connected to her home Wi-Fi network and a doorbell with a hidden camera.
Scambati posted the video on social media. She said several of her neighbors have told her they have captured the same suspect on their home security video. She filed a police report Tuesday afternoon.
Police are urging anyone who recognizes the man to call them.
- A Southampton woman is facing several felony charges for allegedly charging immigrants bogus fees while she was working at Immigration Legal Services of Long Island.A Southampton woman is facing several felony charges for allegedly charging immigrants bogus fees while she was working at Immigration Legal Services of Long Island.
- New images have been released of a man wanted for a carjacking in a Whole Foods parking lot.New images have been released of a man wanted for a carjacking in a Whole Foods parking lot.
- A woman is under arrest after a fatal crash in Wading River involving a 90-year-old.A woman is under arrest after a fatal crash in Wading River involving a 90-year-old.
- Multiple members of the Bloods gang are accused of gunrunning on Long Island.Multiple members of the Bloods gang are accused of gunrunning on Long Island.
- A homeless man was arrested for allegedly trying to lure a little girl in Huntington Station.A homeless man was arrested for allegedly trying to lure a little girl in Huntington Station.
- Torrential rain, high winds and flooding hit Long Island.Torrential rain, high winds and flooding hit Long Island.
- Businesses in Freeport impacted by last week's nor'easter are ready for another round of pounding rain and damaging winds.
- Thunderbolt 12 was in Mineola on Jericho Turnpike Wednesday where rain disrupted the evening commute and brought some flooding concerns.
- Wednesday's weather was like deja vu for homeowners along the South Shore who had finally seen the flooding from last week's storm recede.
- Alerta del tiempo hay lluvia intensa para esta noche.Alerta del tiempo hay lluvia intensa para esta noche.