Popular park left laden with litter after busy weekendPosted: Updated:
Residents in one Long Island community were fuming after a state park that's popular with picnickers was left covered in trash over the weekend.
Garbage was strewn all over the ground and picnic tables at Field 6 in Heckscher State Park Sunday.
"Honestly, it looked like a third world country down here," says Brandon Ramunto. "People were throwing trash out of their cars, throwing trash on the ground, leaving trash on the picnic tables."
Ramunto and his wife took video that shows litter covering the ground, some of it just feet from a garbage can.
"I was just disgusted. That's the only word I have for it," Ramunto says. "I was absolutely disgusted that people can just be so ignorant just to leave their trash all over, and just not care -- not care about the environment, not care about the animals, not care about all the stuff blowing into the bay. It's disgusting."
Other residents expressed concerns about kids possibly picking up items that were left behind.
George Gorman, regional director of state parks, says the incident is not typical. He says coach buses were shipping people into the park on Sunday, and the field was almost at full capacity.
"We haven't seen that type of litter in three or four years, and that size of a crowd in many years," he says.
Gorman says park employees had to work overtime last night and Monday to clean up the park. He says that parks have billed people in the past for cleanup services, and they are looking into this littering incident to see if they can figure out who was involved.
- A vigil Tuesday night honored a Levittown man who police say was killed by a hit-and-run driver skipping out on $22 worth of gas.
- On Friday morning, expect a wintry mix to change to light rain by 8 a.m.On Friday morning, expect a wintry mix to change to light rain by 8 a.m.
- The submissions have been tallied, and here are your Top 12 fitness routines!The submissions have been tallied, and here are your Top 12 fitness routines!
- Several Nassau County police radios vanished months ago, and sources tell News 12 Long Island that there's an investigation into whether they were intentionally stolen and possibly resold.
- Police say a Bay Shore man with a prior conviction for child pornography was arrested on the same charge.
- An NYPD manhunt that spilled into a Nassau County neighborhood had the community on edge for hours Tuesday.
- Nassau law enforcement members blasted Curran's order for ICE to exit a trailer at the county jail, calling it "soft on crime."
- Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo covered topics ranging from legalizing recreational marijuana use to school aid in his State of the State address on Tuesday.
- Vowing "I will not be bullied," President Donald Trump's nominee for attorney general asserted independence from the White House on Tuesday.
- Former major league pitcher John Wetteland has been arrested in Texas and charged with continuous sex abuse of a child under age 14.
- "Roma" was the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron.
- The historic Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford has burned to the ground.The historic Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford has burned to the ground.
- Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!
The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
News 12 Long Island wants to announce your wedding. Share your pictures and videos with News 12 Long Island viewers!
- Various pictures of Lindsay Lohan throughout the years.Various pictures of Lindsay Lohan throughout the years.
- Just a few days after the Golden Globe Awards, stars hit the red carpet in New York City for the National Board of Review Awards.
Each week, News 12's Lily Stolzberg heads into the kitchen with a different chef to cook up some delicious meals.
- Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg host the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, on Sunday, Jan. 6, 2019.