Woman injured after inadvertently setting off firework

Posted: Updated:
MASTIC -

A 73-year-old woman was injured Thursday morning after inadvertently setting off a firework.

Police say the woman, a Florida resident, was cleaning up after a July Fourth party at her son’s home on Carlton Avenue.

They say she placed a lit cigarette in an ash tray, which caused a firework in the ashtray to explode.

Authorities say the explosion severed the tip off of her finger and injured other fingers on her right hand.

The woman, who was alone at the house at the time of the incident was taken by police helicopter to Stony Brook University Hospital.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."