Hempstead IDA considers tax break for expanding car dealershipPosted: Updated:
A car dealership’s planned expansion and application for a tax break Thursday stirred some heated discussions at Hempstead Town Hall.
Garden City Mazda, which is located inside the Village of Hempstead, is one of three companies that applied for tax breaks with the Hempstead Town Industrial Development Agency.
The dealership is planning a $7 million expansion, but says it needs to freeze its taxes for the next three years. After that, taxes would go up by two percent.
Opponents of the proposal say that essentially means the $7 million expansion would not go on the tax roll.
Hempstead Village Trustee Jeffrey Daniels, who took office in April, says that is simply not fair. He says the village already struggles with high property taxes and high rates of poverty. Daniels claims tax breaks for big businesses are part of the problem.
“A third of the Village's tax roll is off the books. One third. That's one of the highest on Long Island,” Daniels told News 12. “…It really hamstrings what you're able to do and what you're able to provide to your residents.”
An attorney for the dealership says not only will the expansion bring jobs, but each year – five Hempstead High School students will receive apprenticeships there.
The IDA Board decided Thursday not to vote on the issue. It will be considered at next month's meeting.
- A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Aside from banks, Netflix was one of the big earnings releases of the week.Aside from banks, Netflix was one of the big earnings releases of the week.
- A fall favorite returns to Oyster Bay this weekend: it's the annual Oyster Festival, and big crowds are expected.
- A softball game dedicated to raising awareness of suicide in the law enforcement community will be held in Baldwin Saturday.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!