Thousands turn out for run honoring fallen Navy SEAL from LIPosted: Updated:
Thousands of Long Islanders came together Saturday to honor a Long Island hero who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Participants gathered in Lake Ronkonkoma for a 4-mile run to honor fallen Navy SEAL Michael Murphy
The 29-year-old lieutenant from Patchogue was killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2005. Two years later, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.
Murphy’s story was portrayed in the Hollywood film, “Lone Survivor.”
Organizers say more than 6,000 turned out for Saturday’s event. Many of the participants wore military fatigues, while others carried American flags.
People tell News 12 they're proud to be part of this event, keeping Lt. Murphy's legacy alive.
“This is such an honor. What I'd like to remind people is that it's not just about Michael, it's about all our fallen heroes,” says Daniel Murphy, Michael Murphy’s father. “And while Michael might be a symbol for people, I think when they come out here they're honoring Michael, his teammates and all our foreign heroes and the sacrifices they made to keep us safe.”
The money raised is going to support veterans’ charities. Race organizers say they collected more than $150,000.
- A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.A West Hempstead man is facing charges after a public lewdness incident in Malverne Park Oaks.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Aside from banks, Netflix was one of the big earnings releases of the week.Aside from banks, Netflix was one of the big earnings releases of the week.
- A fall favorite returns to Oyster Bay this weekend: it's the annual Oyster Festival, and big crowds are expected.
- A softball game dedicated to raising awareness of suicide in the law enforcement community will be held in Baldwin Saturday.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!