Health Dept.: Belmont Park employee dies from rare, rodent-born virusPosted: Updated:
A worker at Belmont Park has died from a rare, rodent-born virus.
The Department of Health says the employee was found unconscious earlier this month outside the backstretch housing unit where he lived.
A preliminary investigation suggests the employee died from what's called Hantavirus.
Most cases are transmitted by breathing in air inside confined areas filled with rodent droppings.
- Police say a body was found Sunday morning in Patchogue.Police say a body was found Sunday morning in Patchogue.
- Police are looking for whoever stole a car that was left running - with the keys still inside - from a 7-Eleven on Friday.
- escue crews in New Orleans on Sunday were trying to find a worker missing in the rubble of a hotel that collapsed while under construction but work in the unstable structure must be done delicately, officials said.
- New funding is paving the way for a family friendly park in Blue Point.New funding is paving the way for a family friendly park in Blue Point.
- A Long Island boxer is reportedly in a coma following a knockout in the ring.A Long Island boxer is reportedly in a coma following a knockout in the ring.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
- RAND Luxury is holding an auction of collectible motorcars from brands including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche & beyond at the Nassau County Museum of Art Saturday, Oct. 12.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Bobbi and the Strays. The shelter is located at 2 Rider Place in Freeport. Their phone number is (516) 378-4340.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. The shelter is located in Oceanside. Their phone number is 516-306-4998.