Health Dept.: Belmont Park employee dies from rare, rodent-born virus

Posted: Updated:
ELMONT -

A worker at Belmont Park has died from a rare, rodent-born virus.

The Department of Health says the employee was found unconscious earlier this month outside the backstretch housing unit where he lived.

A preliminary investigation suggests the employee died from what's called Hantavirus.

Most cases are transmitted by breathing in air inside confined areas filled with rodent droppings.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."