Fourth-graders make signs to protect piping ploversPosted: Updated:
School children are asking Town of Hempstead residents to share the beach with some of their tiniest neighbors, piping plovers.
Fourth-graders from The Brandeis School have set out to protect the threatened birds.
The small shorebirds make their home on the beach, so the students have made signs warning beachgoers to look out.
Officials say it's also a good idea to leave dogs at home when visiting the beach, because the plovers scare easily and may abandon their eggs for good.
- Prosecutors say a veteran Hempstead village police officer stole an encrypted police radio and intended to sell it to a towing company for $10,000.
- Voters on Tuesday cast their ballots in several village mayoral and trustee races on Long Island.Voters on Tuesday cast their ballots in several village mayoral and trustee races on Long Island.
- The Food Fight battle continues on News 12 Long Island!The Food Fight battle continues on News 12 Long Island!
- A petition is being aimed at firing three teachers at Roosevelt Middle School, following the display of images of nooses labeled "back-to-school necklaces."
- Nassau and Suffolk have been ranked as the second and 16th most healthy counties, respectively, in New York state.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!
- Heading out to a St. Patrick's Day parade? Or maybe you just love to celebrate the holiday? Either way, News 12 Long Island wants to see your photos! Upload them or post on Instagram or Twitter with #LISTPATS to show your St. Patrick's Day spirit!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!