Apple unveils features to limit phone screen timePosted: Updated:
Apple on Monday unveiled new features for its iPhones and other mobile devices to help limit screen time.
While iPhones already have a do not disturb feature, the new controls will allow users to block app notifications from showing up on the home screen not just based on time of day, but on location.
Users will also be able to set daily time limits on specific apps and get weekly reports on exactly how much time they are spending on the phone. Addiction experts say it's a good step forward.
"There is research that supports that some of the 'bings' we get from our digital devices have very similar neurological effects for that of some dopamine rushes that mirror substance abuse as well," says Steve Chassman, of the Long Island Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. "I think this is an acknowledgement from Silicon Valley saying that we need to put some apps out there that are available so we can work with these devices with some kind of balance."
The new Apple features won't be ready for use for a few months.
In May, Google revealed plans to force Android phones into a "shush" mode when placed face down on a table and have the screen only show grayscale colors late at night.
- Police are asking for the public's help to find a car thief and a stolen car.Police are asking for the public's help to find a car thief and a stolen car.
- It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!
- Patrick Day's promoter says the 27-year-old Freeport native is currently in a coma following his injury Saturday night.
- A Seaford man has dedicated his life to preserving law and order as an Army reservist and Nassau County judge.
- Investigan el asesinato de una madre hispana en su apartamento en el Bronx. Con manifestaciones en celebración del día indígena rechazan la festivida de Columbus Day. El president de Ecuador y líderes indígenas proponen acuerdo ante la crísis.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.