Search underway for armed yard intruder who snatched teen's necklacePosted: Updated:
A confrontation between an armed burglar and a teen in a Suffolk backyard kicked off a manhunt Saturday morning.
Police say they got the call around 8:30 a.m. from a home on Quintuck Lane in East Islip.
The homeowner tells News 12 that her teenage daughter woke up to see a man in their backyard, looking through a shed. The teen went outside and that's when they say the man pulled out a gun, yanked off a necklace the teen was wearing and then ran off.
Police searched the area for the robber with K-9 units and a helicopter.
The homeowner tells News 12 that it comes as a shock in their normally quiet neighborhood.
"My family has been in this area since the 1800s and it's always been a low-crime area," she says. "For it to happen to your own child, on your own property, it's scary."
The robber is described as a white man in his early to mid-30s who wore jeans and a hooded sweatshirt.
Police say the investigation is ongoing.
- A Syosset man accused of fatally stabbing his mother and injuring his father during an argument pleaded not guilty Friday from Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.
- A Levittown woman was arrested in connection with a deadly overdose.A Levittown woman was arrested in connection with a deadly overdose.
- According to police, the three women, all from Flushing, Queens, were arrested Thursday night at Hau Xia Healthy Center.According to police, the three women, all from Flushing, Queens, were arrested Thursday night at Hau Xia Healthy Center.
- Police say they arrested Stuart Babitch on Wednesday.Police say they arrested Stuart Babitch on Wednesday.
- Fourteen people have been indicted in a Nassau County drug ring tied to a fatal overdose, prosecutors say.Fourteen people have been indicted in a Nassau County drug ring tied to a fatal overdose, prosecutors say.
- A crash between two vehicles Friday sent a car into a Plainview home, injuring four people in total.A crash between two vehicles Friday sent a car into a Plainview home, injuring four people in total.
- Special counsel Robert Mueller closed his long and contentious Russia investigation with no new charges Friday.
- Disabled and minority Long Islanders have filed a lawsuit claiming the owner of several apartment complexes is discriminating against them.
- A rally held Friday in Rockville Centre rejected the idea of legalized marijuana sales in New York state.